Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jessica Cooks! Hawaiian Haystacks

Hawaiian Haystacks....I don't have a clue as to whether or not this is an authentic 'Hawaiian' dish. However, it's yummy and my great friend, Kristen, told me how to make it.
It's also healthy and 6 out of 8 people in my immediate family beg for it.
Are you ready?


Okay, here's what you'll need to feed 8-10 people: 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (If they are very large, maybe just 4)




Rice. I like either Jasmine (not as starchy) or brown. My kids like Jasmine. Because it's not as healthy.
Also shredded cheddar or mixed cheeses. I like Mexican Blend from Costco.



One family size cream of chicken soup. Or several small cans.
Pineapple. Either tidbits (my preference) or chunks.

Also, 4 smallish tomatoes, 3-4 green onions, 1 cup sliced black olives and about 1 cup shredded coconut. (optional) You can have more olives than this if your family is olive-crazy, which mine is.
I was out of coconut. Which was okay considering I'm the only one in my family who likes it in this dish.



Okay, to get started, measure out 3 cups rice into a pot or rice cooker. I adore my rice cooker! (Thanks, Dad & Muriel)
If you don't have a rice cooker, make the rice according to directions on the package.


To the rice add 6 1/4 cups water, one tablespoon olive oil. This is for Jasmine rice. Other rice may need varying amounts of water.



See my sous chefs? Aren't they great!?



Dice up the green onions and tomatoes. Also the olives if they're not presliced. I buy the humongo cans of olives at Costco, divide it among many small containers and store them for a month in the fridge. It works for us.
But we all miss putting olives on our fingers. We have to wait for the holidays.

Cube your chicken.


Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil (EVOO) to a skillet and sautee the chicken.


Salt and pepper to taste.


Empty the cream of chicken soup into a saucepan, add milk- about 2 cups. If your brand of soup is really salty, you might want to add more.


Heat the soup until hot.


Put your toppings: cheese, pineapple, tomatoes, green onions and olives (not pictured) into bowls.
Thanks Ma for the yellow bowls- I love them!

Your rice should be done by now- fluff it with a fork.


Get your chicken ready, too.



Lay out the buffet and call the kids. Okay, call your husband, too. (Mine is one of the two people in this family who doesn't care for this wonderful dish!)



Behold the beauty! Oh how I love this light, colorful meal. And I have no Hawaiian heritage whatsoever.


My lovely just-turned-18-year-old daughter really digs this meal. It's one of her favorites. And, since it was her birthday, I made it. Just look at the joy on her face.
Okay, maybe she's annoyed I'm taking her picture and telling her to say "Stringy cheese".
She can't help but smile, though. That's just the kind of wonderful girl she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails