Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jessica Bakes! Chocolate Marshmallow Bars

Chewy, rich, rather sinful Chocolate Marshmallow Bars. A family favorite around here. This is what my lovely 18 year old daughter requested in lieu of a birthday cake. And I had three volunteer helpers to make it. Volunteers begging to help make it. Fighting over who got to do what.
These are oh-so-rich and require a large glass of milk or water to go with them. And you won't want to eat chocolate for a month.




To begin, recruit your helper(s) and get their hands a-washin'.



You're gonna need 3/4 of a cup of real butter, softened. Also, 3 Tablespoons of butter set aside for the topping.
I know, I know, but you need it.



Also, three eggs. I prefer my homegirls' eggs. Once you've had farm fresh eggs, you can never go back. (Unless your hens aren't laying, then you have no choice.)


1 1/2 cups granulated sugar.


1 1/3 cups enriched flour.




1 teaspoon baking powder. I always buy brands that have no aluminum sulfate in the ingredients. I don't need to increase my risk of Alzheimer's, ya know. Don't even get me started on antiperspirants.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

4 Tablespoons baking cocoa.


1 cup peanut butter. I always buy natural peanut butter. Haven't had the peanut-flavored Crisco in about 13 years. Thinking of my family's hearts.... while I make sinfully delicious junk food!




1 - 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips.
1 bag mini marshmallows.
I recommend keeping both bags closed until you need them. While you can't see it well, the marshmallows were opened prematurely and several hands grabbed a few. I'm not naming names.


Toss your softened butter into your bowl.




Add the sugar and cream together.



Add your eggs. Look at the beautiful orange color of those yolks. Good job, ladies- Keep eating your greens!



Cream ingredients until light and fluffy.


Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. I always add a little more.



Have your helpers check the recipe again. Make sure you're doing it right.


Without mixing it in yet; add your flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.




Mix quickly, but don't beat too long. Just enough to incorporate everything.


Generously spray cooking oil on a jelly roll pan. Then spread chocolate mixture over the pan.

Place pan in pre heated 350* oven for 15-18 minutes, or until it feels done.



Give your helpers the beaters to lick. I feel sorry for them. They don't realize that when I was a kid, beater heads were much thicker, catching a whole lot more batter on them. Aah, the good 0l' days....


Now, while it's baking, you can lay around on the floor with your dog if you like.




Or, you can pass the time chatting with your sister or looking bored.
Whatever floats your boat.





Or, like me, you can get started on the topping:

Place 3 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, along with the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
Heat over low heat just until everything is melted. Remove from heat.


When your cake is ready, pour the marshmallows over the top (without letting them drop into the oven, thereby causing your kitchen to smell like burned marshmallow) and return to the oven for about 5 more minutes. Until the marshmallows have puffed up and are beginning to turn golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool for ten minutes or so.





Get your topping ready.



Pour topping over the marshmallows, and spread to edges.



Then take your pan of deliciousness and place it in the fridge for an hour or two. Or the freezer for half an hour or so. We always do the freezer. No one can wait.


Look at the chocolatey goodness! When hardened, cut into bars. Serve and enjoy. You know you want to make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails