Saturday, February 23, 2013

Masterpiece

It seems I am always in the middle of a whirlwind called life.

My position is usually one of foot on the brake, frantically mumbling, "Wait, not yet, I'm not ready, wait!"
 Other times I am silent, at peace and in perpetual awe of the forces of living around me.

Children growing up- like my newly graduated 18 year old and my soon-to-be driving 16 year old.  
Content copyright © 2013 by Jessa at Graceful Landing
They were little boys just days ago it seems.


Content copyright © 2013 by Jessa at Graceful Landing
 Content copyright © 2013 by Jessa at Graceful Landing


 Life changes as swiftly as the ticking clock around here; new babies in the family (or on the way!),  new self-realizations, struggles in the form of careers, car trouble, farm trouble, teen angst, or simply getting Spring here- now! 

I often feel I'm at the epicenter in our realm of existence- which through the years at times, has either drained me of energy supplies I did not realize I had,  or filled me with inspiration and joy unlike anything I've ever known.
 And yet...as each child grows and gains independence, more and more I wonder, 'what comes next?'  
Or more accurately, 'What will I do when they're grown that will ever compare?'

It's hard for me to imagine anything so fulfilling and challenging as raising a large family.  I've poured my heart and soul into the creation of this 'masterpiece' and instinctively I feel that nothing will ever compare to the beauty that is my crazy quilt of life.

Imperfect, yes-both myself and my crazy quilt, but oh, so lovely and rewarding.  The colors, the fine and coarse threads, the varied textures of fabric- every scrap bringing to mind a memory or scent or feeling.  
I think of the Japanese term, 'Wabi Sabi' or the beauty of things imperfect.

God in His infinite wisdom sent us to families because He loves us.  I know this. 


I  also know that families are not perfect, that growing pains are real.  
That teenagers can, indeed, cause gray hairs to sprout.  But they are wonderful.  (The teens)
That sleeping with your babies and toddlers is a beautiful thing.  There is no other time like it!
That mothers and fathers should be 'jump up' parents, not sit-on-the-couch-holler-at-your-kids-parents.
That hugs are amazing and heal a whole heck of a lot.

That I am still the lioness at the gate of my home.  As my children grow up and move on,  I will continue to stand for Truth with a capital 'T'
That what I allow in my home in the form of media and morals sets the tone for my family.  
That the 'most important work I will ever do will be within the walls of my own home.' ~ Harold B. Lee

I'm okay with that.  With knowing that creating and raising a family to the very best of my ability will be my wabi sabi masterpiece.   Everything else may pale by comparison.  Still, this masterpiece is a living, breathing, expanding one that begins to create on its own.  I will be a participating seamstress as well as an observer for the rest my life.  How cool is that?! 
                     
 





Content copyright © 2013 by Jessa at Graceful Landing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails