Friday, January 29, 2010

The Roller Coaster

I seem to have a problem with change.
Or at least unexpected change.
Okay, basically any major life change.

Things like my father-in-law passing away.
My daughter getting married.
My children growing up.
My dog dying.
Things of that nature.

I just want to be asked first.  Reassured that all is well...
ahead of time.
I need prior notice- as in years of notice. 

I mean, when you are young you never imagine the twists and turns that your future life will take.
The pain and sorrow and worry.
The joy and happiness and fulfillment.

It's rather exhausting to think about.
Maybe that's why we can't know ahead.

I think  of the movie 'Parenthood' with Steve Martin.



There is a wonderful scene where he feels he is a failure as a parent, husband, employee, etc.  He just learned that his wife is unexpectedly pregnant on the same day he quit his job. 
They are hurriedly getting ready to head to their children's school play.
He's arguing with his wife, when his grandmother- portrayed as somewhat loony- enters the room.   
She begins to talk about the old days and how she loved going to the fair (or was it carnival?) with his grandfather.  How her favorite ride was the roller coaster. 



 Here's the movie quote:

[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
  Grandma:You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
  Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
 Gil: (sarcastically) What a great story.
  Grandma:I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. 

Isn't that great?  In the movie Steve Martin's character, Gil, thinks his grandma's crazy.  His wife declares her brilliant.
I agree.

So even though I sometimes wish for the merry-go-round....
I realize the roller coaster of life is what helps me to grow as a human being.
As a mother and wife and daughter, sister, friend...and yes, as a pet owner.

We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
I get that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails