Saturday, February 5, 2011

The 5th of February

Today is my birthday.

The first photo below looks as if I'm not too thrilled at the prospect.

To be honest, I suppose in some ways I'm not.  I'm still at odds with the thought of growing old and would like to continue feeling young for a long, long time.
However, it's a good time to reflect on my life and the many blessings I've been given.  
So many, even on this very morning, that my heart is filled with gratitude!



In my reflections this morning, I've realized that I'm definitely growing older.











But that's okay.  It's part of life.
I heard a great quote yesterday:
"Aging is a privilege, not a birthright."~Paulina Porizkova

So true...but I hope I'm gaining wisdom alongside the wrinkles!

Now for the good stuff.  The birthday bliss my family provided (aside from the lovely calls and well-wishes from everyone):

First, we have raspberry cheesecake and fresh blackberries.
Raspberry cheesecake and fresh blackberries!
A little taste of Spring....just for me.
You can't get much more thoughtful than that, in the dead of winter.





My family brought me breakfast in bed this morning.
Egg scramble with sausage and peppers, a biscuit with jelly, hot cocoa and even a miniature birthday cake and carnation.  
I felt like a queen.


My littlest girl gave me a box full of gifts.
I even have numerous coupons I'll be cashing in for things like hugs, a free dinner and foot rubs. Can't wait!
( I especially love my pink Egyptian cat she created with paper mache.)




I also received a beautiful spring-colored blanket; hand-crafted and stapled together on three sides as the sewing machine was out of commission. 
Can you see the staples?    : )





Another fun treat was watching the Man of the House rush to grab a camera and head out to stealthily snap shots as bucks appeared all over our property while he was out feeding animals.  These are just two of maybe eight that we saw. They love getting into our alfalfa.


Then, just for me....a snow storm rolled in unannounced and began to show off.


And now, the piece de resistance:

 An amazing birthday cake, provided by my youngest son.
The same boy who detests cheesecake and insisted it wasn't a 'real' birthday tradition.

Along with his creation, a few fun photos from my special day:





"Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin' across your face." ~Dolly Parton, Steel Magnolias


Age is an issue of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.  ~Mark Twain

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.  ~Douglas MacArthur

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.  ~Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails